Special update for applicants!
NLC’s Certificate in Engineering Studies aligns with the BC Common First-Year Engineering Agreement and will provide full, seamless second-year transfer to engineering programs throughout BC. The next NLC intake is scheduled to begin in September 2020. Prospective students are advised to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Certificate in Engineering Studies is an intense undergraduate credential that requires courses in the areas of chemistry, computer programming, communications, engineering design, math, and physics.
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
NLC students are responsible for confirming transfer arrangements at their chosen degree-granting institutions.
The Certificate in Engineering Studies provides a post-secondary pathway to a career as an engineer by allowing for further study at engineering schools throughout British Columbia.
Location: Fort St. John campus
Length: Most receiving institutions require all courses to be completed within 30 weeks (or two semesters) of full-time study in a single academic year. However, UVic will accept part-time study that is spread over two academic years. The Certificate in Engineering Studies consists of a minimum of 975 hours of class time.
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Official transcripts demonstrating high school graduation with the following:
1a. English requirement for applicants whose first language is English: English Studies 12 or ENGL 050 or equivalent with a minimum final grade of "B."
1b. English requirement for applicants whose first language is not English: IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 and no band less than 6.0. Applicants with a Writing Band of 6.0 are required to complete ENGL 099 with a minimum final grade of "B."
2. Chemistry requirement for all applicants: Chemistry 12 or CHEM 050 or equivalent with a minimum final grade of "C+." Outstanding applicants who are missing Chemistry 12 or the equivalent are encouraged to apply and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
3. Math requirement for all applicants: Pre-Calculus 12 or equivalent with a minimum final grade of "B."
4. Physics requirement for all applicants: Physics 12 or PHYS 050 or equivalent with a minimum final grade of "C+." Outstanding applicants who are missing Physics 12 or the equivalent are encouraged to apply and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Note: Where available, Calculus 12 and Programming 12 are recommended.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Guide
APPLY NOW for the University Arts and Sciences Certificate – Engineering Studies program
Do you need more information? Admissions
Program Contact: Chair, University Arts and Sciences
(Cindy Broberg email@example.com, Dawson Creek campus; Issoufou Soumaila firstname.lastname@example.org, Fort St. John campus)
*Note: ENGL 100 is not required for transfer to UNBC's Undergraduate Engineering Program. Students intending to transfer to UNBC are advised to speak with their program Chair.