Time to upgrade? Tuition fees have been eliminated for domestic students. Also ask about the Adult Upgrading Grant.
Career and College Preparation (upgrading) courses are available to students looking to:
- improve basic literacy in English, math, or computer studies
- upgrade to meet prerequisites for trades, vocational or university programs
- finish high school education and earn a diploma
- attend only part-time to accommodate family or work responsibilities
- prepare for employment, or upgrade to improve employment options
- create a better future for the student and his/her family
- achieve a personal goal
The CCP program at NLC offers:
- supportive, adult-centred environments
- part-time or full-time studies
- small class sizes
- flexible arrangements for learning guided by caring instructors
- instructor-led classes
- an Adult Learning Centre for extra help and individualized courses
- tutoring services for current students
- convenient access to college resources
To determine grade level, students have the option to complete English and Math appraisals.
Fundamental Certificate (Level 02)
- Grades 8 and 9
- English, math, and computers
- Individualized instruction
Intermediate Certificate (Level 03)
- Grade 10
- English, math, plus two of the following: computers, science or social studies
- Individualized instruction
- Students may wish to enter a trade or vocational program at this point.
Advanced Certificate (Level 04)
- Grade 11
- English, choice of math courses, accounting, biology, chemistry, physics, computer studies, social studies
- Courses may be face-to-face instructor-led, or delivered at a distance via video conference or web conference or student–directed with instructor support
Provincial Diploma (Level 05)
>>Career and College Preparation Timetables
Locations: Face-to-face, online, and video-conference delivery: Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, Fort Nelson, and Fort St. John; advanced- and provincial-level online delivery only: Atlin, Dease Lake, and Tumbler Ridge.
Start: September and February
Fees: Tuition; student fees, textbooks and other costs apply.
Check the current tuition guide for estimated costs.
- 18 years of age or older;
- 17 years of age or older and
- Out of school for at least one year; or by special arrangement with the School District.
NOTE: There is no maximum age.
- To determine grade level, you have the option to complete English and Math Appraisals
- Questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- The program is not eligible for Canada Student Loans.
- Fees and textbook funding may be available through the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG).
- Flexible learning options may be available that fit with your work and childcare responsibilities.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
Still have questions? Contact the program for answers.
Do you need more information about admissions? Please contact an admissions officer.
Do you have more questions about this program? Contact the program office for answers.
Essential Skills for Trades
Fundamental Level (Grades 8 and 9)
Intermediate Level (Grade 10)
Advanced Level (Grade 11)
Provincial Level (Grade 12)