500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
This program teaches current office skills in word processing, keyboarding, spreadsheets, automated accounting and bookkeeping. Business communications and office procedures courses enable students to develop the soft skills necessary for success in today’s offices. Students utilize current Microsoft Office software in the program.
While most students complete the Administrative Assistant specialization, two alternative streams, Financial Assistant and Office Assistant, enable students to exit early. Each stream includes a one- or two-week practicum placement to give students the opportunity to apply their new skills in an office environment.
Study as part of a cohort or choose a less intense schedule
Students can enrol in and complete the 39-week Administrative Assistant program as part of a group that starts together in September and finishes together in June. In this cohort environment, all courses are delivered in a face-to-face format. Cohort students may also opt to exit after 23 weeks as an Office Assistant or after 29 weeks as a Financial Assistant.
Alternatively, students may choose to enrol in a slower-paced version of any stream, taking individual courses as they meet prerequisites. Our online courses are deliberately scheduled to allow for other life-work commitments, and access to face-to-face courses may still be possible. Students seeking a less intense study schedule can start in September, January, or May.
Graduates are prepared for roles in a variety of business settings in the public and private sectors, such as: Administrative Assistant, Financial Office Assistant, Payroll Assistant, Computerized Bookkeeping Assistant, Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk, Receptionist/Switchboard Clerk, Office Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, and Records Management Clerk.
Locations: Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, and Online
Length: Administrative Assistant (39 weeks)
Start: September (cohort), January and May (self-paced)
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
See the current timetable for course availability.
Need upgrading first? Start with NLC’s Career and College Preparation program.
1a. English requirement for applicants whose first language is English: official transcript showing successful completion of any Ministry-approved English Language Arts 11 course or ENGL 040 or equivalent within the previous five years; alternatively, a minimum CAAT score of 11.9 in Reading Comprehension.
1b. English requirement for applicants who have graduated from a Philippine post-secondary institution: completion of a four-year Bachelor's Degree that must include at least one baccalaureate-level English course in which a minimum grade of 'C' was obtained; alternatively, IELTS Academic 6.0 overall with no band less than 6.0.
1c. English requirement for all other applicants whose first language is not English: IELTS Academic 6.0 overall with no band less than 6.0.
2. Math requirement for all applicants: any Ministry-approved Math 10 course or MATH 030 or MATH 035 or equivalent, within the previous five years; alternatively, a minimum CAAT score of 10.9 in Number Operations.
- Note: Applicants should have a basic familiarity with computers and a minimum typing speed of 15 wpm.
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Basic computer and Internet knowledge is advisable including: how to turn on/off a computer; how to open a program; how to save a file; and a preferred 15wpm keyboard speed or a minimum knowledge of the keys (and their location) on a keyboard.
- The information provided here is a summary of the official Program Completion Guides approved by NLC’s Education Council.
Download the program completion guide(s):
APPLY NOW for the Applied Business Technology program
Required in all three streams:
Also required in the Administrative Assistant stream:
Also required in the Financial Assistant stream:
Also required in Office Assistant stream: